Which GPUs support OpenGL ES 3.0?
With OpenGL ES 3 (codename Halti) was just released, the question arrises who will be the first to provide hardware support in there mobile GPUs. In fact, there are already some chips in the pipeline that support all the features necessary so we could see full ES3 support soon:
- PowerVR Series5 SGX545 from ImgTec, announced in january 2010 supports OpenGL 3.2 and thus should also be capable of ES 3.0
- PowerVR Series6 ‘Rogue’ from ImgTec, announced in january 2012
- Qualcomm Adreno 320, announced in July 2012
- Mali-T600 Series GPUs from ARM (T604/T658, T624, T628, T678), first generation was announced in november 2010, second generation in august 2012
- GC800 Series from Vivante Corporation, announced august 2012
It always takes some time till the mobile chips get used in actual smartphones or tablets, but the first generation Mali chips as well as the SGX545 could provide support for ES 3.0 in the near future.
My personal guess is, that the majority of hi-end / mid-range Smartphones and Tablets will see ES3 not before late 2013 / early 2014 (but lets see).